Sunday 15 March 2015

ELF HD Blushers

It's no secret, that I love makeup. Being a professional makeup artist has been my life for the past, 13 years.

I am constantly on the look out for fabulous new makeup to adorn my makeup kit - and as most of the work I do is going to be seen on camera I have to be sure the makeup I create look's exactly the same in the photographs, as it does to the naked eye.

HD makeup has seen a huge rise in makeup circles in the past couples of years. HD foundations, concealers and even powders are readily available.

I work with hundreds of brides, creating their bespoke Wedding Day makeup. Their makeup looking impeccible is paramount - when they get their photographs back, they want to be looking their very best.
I also work on alot of photoshoots - where the minute the model walks onto the set he/she is surrounded by photography lighting. If the makeup isn't compatible, you will notice. Likewise if the makeup is HD - this is also noticeable. It looks fantastic!

High Definition products are usually:
SPF free
Talc free
Contain low amounts of Mica.

Introducing ELF HD blushers.

I discovered these little gems a few weeks back and at only £4.50 each I decided to buy one of each colour.

Positives and first impressions.
Packaging looks very modern and is definitely dressing table worthy.
The range of colours is impressive. Elf currently do 5 colours in this range. To some people this may not seem enough, but really, it is. I find some companies stock way too many colours - trust me, a few staple colours in your kit, is all you need. I have far too many blushers, as it's one of my favourite beauty products. In all honesty I only usually take around 8 with me for each job I work on.
The range of colours ( see below ) means there is, without doubt a colour for all skin tones. Well done ELF - no skin tone will miss out with this product.








Superstar - This is a deep pink tone - with what I would say a peach undertone. This colour is perfect on olive skin tones. I am a NW15 in MAC foundations - I did try this on my skin tone, and it was quite deep in tone. I found day time use it was too strong, but for evening wear, it was perfect. I use this colour alot on brides - Asian skin tones look lovely with this colour.

Headliner - This is my favourite colour for myself - and fairer skintones. Its a light, pastel pink. Don't be deceived into thinking as it is the lightest colour it wont give good colour pay-off. Only a small amount is needed to give a lovely flush of colour. Another favourite for bridal makeup.

Diva - I compare this colour to a MAC lipstick - 'Girl about town'. This colour is very richly pigmented and looks best on warmer skin tones.

Encore - A deeper version of the colour, Diva. Again this colour would look great on the deeper skin tones out there.

Showstopper - Love this colour on the darkest of skins. Gorgeous. A deep, rich purple.

Diva, Encore and Showstopper are great blushers to use on photoshoots - fantastic on camera.


How to apply
I read a few of the reviews of this product on the elf website. The one thing which seemed to pop up time and again was some people decided this product 'horrendous' or 'made you look like a clown'.
It doesn't if you apply it correctly.

It's very difficult when you buy a product, especially if it is offline, as you have had no demonstration of the product, nor have you had the chance of trying it before your buy as you could do if you were buying it instore.
I would rather have a product that was richer in pigment, which when used correctly, gives fantastic results, than a watered down, low in pigment product that needs constant build up ( hence using alot more ) and wears off within a few hours. What a waste of money.

The ELF HD blushers are so rich in pigment - when I first tried them on my hand - the smallest amount left the most fantastic colour pay off. I find products low in colour pigment, easily rub off just with the hand or a tissue. This stuff had to be removed with makeup remover. That's a good start.

I applied the colour Stargazer - at 8am. I was working all day, and got home around 6pm.
The blusher hadn't moved, it hadn't slid down my face. It was still on, where I had applied it, with the same colour intensity.

Apply this product correctly - and you are onto a winner.
Apply this product incorrectly, rubbing it into your skin, will, quite obviously give you clown looking cheeks - whatever colour your choose.

The best way to apply this product is with a brush - if you apply using your fingers, don't expect fantastic results. (For best results, apply some foundation first - even just a fine layer. This will even the skintone, before you add colour).
A brush means you have control over how much is applied, and where it is applied. The best brush I found for applying this was the ever popular Crown Duo fibre brush. Choose the medium size brush. Too big, and you can't control the placement of the product.

When using the ELF HD blusher, make sure you shake the bottle before use, as any water/oils can easily seperate whilst it is standing.
The pump bottle keeps the product hygenic and gives ease of use. Apply a small amount to your hand, and using your duo fibre brush, apply the product to the cheek area, gradually.
Again - I find this product is best applied to a fresh, foundation applied face. Don't cake your cheeks in powder, than expect a cream product to apply seamlessly - it will just clog and go patchy.

I find it hard to find any negatives with this product. I have tried - but in all honesty, for me, there aren't any.
Buy your ELF HD blushers here:

ELF HD Blush


Why not try it for yourself? ELF also do some HD foundation - I have my eyes on those! Has anyone else tried these?

Let me know what you think!

Rx



No comments:

Post a Comment